ANI230: Progress Journal Week 8

Hey everyone! This is the eighth stone monolith in my progress journals. In week 8 I recorded 31 hours of work on Studio 3.

Toggl Week 8

For my specialisation I continued with my composition test, looking at videos about composition.

These videos emphasised several important points, such as contrast, framing and balance in an image. Using what I learnt from these videos I added to my composition test drawing.

Composition Test coloured

I’m trying to make the focus of the image the stone in the forest clearing, so while everything around the stone is a tone of olive/forest green, the stone itself is an ochre. I also tried to bring in leading lines with the tree branch, however I don’t know how well it worked at current. I will be looking at texture brushes in photoshop next while I start on lighting. I might perhaps start a new image as well.

In my body of work, a few hours were taken up by filling out my transferable skills sheet, however the majority of the hours for my body of work were spent on two projects of mine. The first project, my contest image.

Progress.png

Chara and Mettaton are shaded now. Just to finish the shading on Frisk, and mess around with the background however I wish and I will be able to submit this to the AU Creation Contest. I have plenty of time, but I hope to finish it soon so I can get back to my images of Cordelia from Fire Emblem and Peony from Tales of the Abyss. And… I just realised that I haven’t given shading to Mettaton’s boot…. opps. I better fix that.

The second project is a comic for World of Warcraft, in light of their annouced expansion Battle for Azeroth. I want to keep the details of the project a secret for as long as I can, so I shan’t explain too much.

WoW Comic planning NO SPOILERS.PNG

No spoilers. I planned out what I would have in each frame and ended up with 9 frames. My specialisation research will be able to help me with the composition of each frame. I’m also trying to decide if I should throw in a cameo appearance of a character from a different game.

Other than what I’ve stated in this blog, there was the Post Mortem of World Builder that was finished. Go check that out if you haven’t already. And feel free to drop a comment below! Until next time!

~Icetail~

Advertisements

ANI230: Progress Journal Week 7

Hey everyone. Here is my 7th transmission of my Progress Journals. I didn’t record the time spent on final project, because it was simply easier that pulling out my calculator each week. Week 7 had 35 hours recorded down.

Toggl Week 7

Usually I’d start this post with World Builder progress, but as it was just compling the video, finding music, exporting video, fixing video and exporting again (rinse and repeat) I have decided not to show any image progress here. The post-mortem for World Builder will be uploaded soon anyway, so you will be able to read that. World Builder is now finished (discounting the coming post-mortem). So from here on out these progress reports will be all about Specialisation Project and my body of work.

I started doing research on my specialisation project in week 7, looking at genicecream’s composition tips image on DeviantArt as a starting point. From this image full of tips I started a rough image beginning with layout.

Composition Test layout

It’s meant to be a huge rock in a clearing. The kind of rock that children would climb. And for certain it looks far better than having the rock directly in the center.

In my body of work, I added a new image. It is an image for the AU Creation Contest on the Undertale AUs Amino, which is due December 1st. This contest requires me to draw two characters (based off Toby Fox’s Undertale characters, so no original characters) from an alternative universe that I created. So I chose my Project: UNDERGROUND AU, selecting the characters Chara and Frisk for my image. And I added Mettaton with them, because it would have been odd not to, considering my AU.

Base Colours

Only flat colours at the moment, but that’s okay. And the lines on Frisk and Mettaton’s arms haven’t been added yet. This image started off as this rough sketch here:

Sketch.png

Wierd eyes. I was planning a background, however, I am currently of the opinion that the image looks better without it.

That’s all I have for week 7. See you all in the next blog post!

~Icetail~