Cross-Discipline Post-Mortem

Hey everyone, I’m here with the post-mortem of my cross-discipline projects. I had three of them this trimester, so thats a 200% increase!

World-Builder Title Card

For World Builder the title card was made by a graphic design student.

3_The Horse and His Boy

It took a few weeks for a graphic design student to show interest in this project, I almost gave up on getting any crossdiscipline work for this project. When someone commented on my post to the SAE Interdisciplinary Group on Facebook I sent an email to them as soon as I could. We exchanged numerous emails, discussing what my team reqiured for the title card, colours, fonts etc. They then gave me some draft images and finally, the final, as shown above. It was an interesting experience, we never met face to face, only communicating through email, though I suppose it is no different to commissioning art off of an artist on DeviantArt, I give the information that the artist needs and then the artist uses that information to create what I asked for.

This project went smoothly, nothing went wrong and everything was completed quicker than was expected. This is most likely due to me giving the graphic designer all the information they needed along with references they asked for, mainly font types.

Let’s Talk Logo

My second cross-discipline project was the Let’s Talk logo, made by a graphic design student and animated by me.

Let's-Talk.gif

This process was practically the same as getting the title card, I posted on the Facebook group and waited for the response of a graphic design student. When the logo was given to me however, I then animated it. I had some problems with this part of the process, occasionally the video file that I had exported from After Effects, I don’t know why it did that, only that reloading the file into Photoshop to export as a gif was the only thing that fixed it.

This website here taught me how to make gif files from After Effects, through exporting to video, then importing to Photoshop and then saving as a gif. This gif was then added to the first post on my new blog webseries; Let’s Talk, which was originally started on one of my Amino accounts.

This project went smoothly, with only the exporting going wrong. When the graphic designer asked for my opinion on what they was making I gave it, telling them the itterations that I liked the most. I gave them all the information regarding what I wanted to the student at the beginning when I first contacted them. This helped the project go faster.

Destructive Cover

My last project for cross-discipline was to design the album cover of an EP for an audio student.

Destructive Cover

I came across this project by complete accident, as the audio student I was doing this for was also the audio student for my final project group in CIU. We spoke about this as a sort of side thought to final project. Other than speaking about this in class, we also discussed this over Slack, I would send progress updates and he would tell me his opinion. Eventually this was made. Communication was easier than previous trimesters, as instead of using email, both of us were in the same Slack channel, so we both were able to direct message each other.

This project went well. Our conversations on this project were long, including a lot of screenshots, letting the audio student comment on what they liked, didn’t like, and how they thought I could change it. The only problem that arose was when the audio student wanted to change the entire cover, however it was discovered that I didn’t have the style that they wanted for it. Instead of scrapping the cover however, I was given the title “Destructive” to go over it instead of “Jawbone”.

Next Time

If I ever get the chance to work with other disciplines I don’t think I would do anything differently, as I did everything that I could do to get the projects that I worked on. I posted to the Facebook and I talked to students on campus. There was nothing more that I could do.

About Other Discipline’s Workflow

I didn’t learn anything new that I didn’t already know about about other discipline’s workflows during these projects. For the audio cover I was working as a graphic designer to make said cover and the process that I used was the exact same process that the graphic designers who make the title card and the logo for my blog. Nothing new was learnt about workflow.


And that has been my cross-discipline this trimester. It was fun and I learnt some stuff. Thanks for reading and until next time!

~Icetail~

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s