Recently the game ‘Fire Emblem Fates’ came out for the 3DS in Australia and I have been playing it since it came out, already having completed the ‘Conquest’ side of the game. You might be wondering “Rebekah, what does this have to do with what brought you here??” Simply put; everything. Your next question is probably “where is here?” Well ‘here’ is SAE Qantm Creative Media institute.
Games like ‘Fire Emblem Fates’, it predecessor; ‘Fire Emblem Awakening’, and even games like ‘Runescape’ and ‘World of Warcraft’, require animation to bring their characters to life. Animators use images to induce emotions and tell story in visual ways that cannot be conveyed through words. I find myself with an unadulterated fascination in using images to pull at the heartstrings of players and viewers.
A perfect example for this is the moment in ‘Fire Emblem Fates’ when you are forced to chose a side. Whether you own ‘Birthright’ or ‘Conquest’, or are waiting around for the release of the third path ‘Revelations’ (Or its already come out for you), when you are told to choose a side it is impossible to not feel conflicting emotions at the choice you have to make.
It is these inflicted emotions through animation and pictures that make me interested in doing animation myself. There is only so much emotion that I can drag out of my writing, and only so much emotion one can pull out of still images. The greatest emotional impact comes from animation and films, and I want to learn how to make animation like that.
“Computers don’t create computer animation any more than a pencil creates pencil animation. What creates computer animation is the artist.”
- Official Site – Fire Emblem Awakening – About the Game. (2016). Official Site – Fire Emblem Awakening – About the Game. [online] Available at: https://fireemblem.nintendo.com/about/index.html [Accessed 6 Jun. 2016].
- Fireemblemfates.nintendo.com. (2016). Fire Emblem™ Fates for Nintendo 3DS – Official site. [online] Available at: http://fireemblemfates.nintendo.com/ [Accessed 6 Jun. 2016].
- Blizzard Entertainment:World of Warcraft. (2016). Us.blizzard.com. Retrieved 8 June 2016, from http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/wow/
- RuneScape – Free Fantasy MMORPG Browser Game. (2016). RuneScape. Retrieved 8 June 2016, from http://www.runescape.com/
- Official Site – Fire Emblem Awakening – About the Game. (2016). Official Site – Fire Emblem Awakening – About the Game. Retrieved 8 June 2016, from http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/about/index.html
- Conquest, F. (2016). Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest – EB Games Australia. Ebgames.com.au. Retrieved 8 June 2016, from https://ebgames.com.au/3ds-157961-Fire-Emblem-Fates-Conquest-Nintendo-3DS
- ‘Fire Emblem Fates’ follows its own path. (2016). BYTEbsu. Retrieved 8 June 2016, from http://bytebsu.com/fire-emblem-fates-follows-its-own-path/